When you build a campaign group for a tiered loyalty program, we recommend you take a few specific steps in your configuration:
- When you create a group for a two-tier system, use the Exclude Group field to exclude the group that represents the other tier. This configuration ensures that no individual is part of multiple tiers at the same time. When you have more than two tiers, contact your Vista representative for assistance configuring custom SQL query rules that ensure your tiers are mutually exclusive.
- Consider using the Retention Period settings in the group configuration for your tiers. This configuration can ensure that a member stays in a particular tier, even if their account is temporarily disqualified by a single cinema visit or transaction. For example, if a member moves from the silver tier to the gold tier by accumulating a specific number of loyalty points, you might want the member to stay at the gold tier for the rest of the calendar year even if they spend some points and drop back below the threshold. When you're building campaign groups to identify Loyalty members for communication or recognition:
- Select the Retain check box.
- Enter a number in the Retention Period field and select an option in the Retention Period Unit field. For example, enter 1 and select Week to have anyone added to the group remain in the group for at least one week before the system re-evaluates the member’s eligibility based on the group’s criteria.
- Optionally, select an option in the Retention Expiry field. This setting can override the rest of your expiration configuration, effectively allowing each member to join a cohort of members that might move from one group to another. For example, if you set a retention period of 6 months, a member who is added to the group in October might still be eligible to move to a different group (such as a higher-level loyalty tier) at the end of the calendar year if you select Annually.
- Optionally, select the Record Group History check box to have Loyalty keep a record of the dates on which individual members are added to and removed from the group. Storing this information might be helpful if you want to reference it in future communications or campaigns.
In addition to the standard rule and group build options, or as an alternative to using retention settings, you can control when members move between tiers by creating a balance type specific to tier eligibility. Create this balance type just like you’d create a points balance type. Tier membership can then be configured and reassessed based on this balance, and membership status won’t be affected by activities or transactions that adjust other balances. With this configuration, you can also reset each member's point balance to zero when members move tiers.
- Build a loyalty points balance type that you'll use specifically to determine member placement in a loyalty tier.
- In Loyalty Admin, go to Members > Levels > [your tier level] > Show Reward Settings, select Reset Balance, and select the balance type you created.