Profile Groups are groups of related profiles, consisting of an original profile and its related versions. A Workstation cannot be linked to an individual version, only a profile group itself. Linking to a workstation effectively links the workstation to the entire profile group.
A profile can be changed and the changes will become available at the workstation or workstations from the effective date specified on the profile.
A new version can be created based on the original profile or from an existing version. Once a version is linked to an original profile, the profile it is linked to cannot be changed. This includes versions created from existing versions. Versions of profiles can have effective from and to dates set to allow POS to automatically use new versions at the required time. Effective dates cannot be entered for the original profile. A status can be set for profiles, a profile can be Active, Inactive or To Be Deleted.
POS will automatically decide the appropriate profile to use within a profile group:
- If the assigned profile is both standalone (no versions) and active, POS will simply run the profile.
- If the assigned profile is the original in a profile group (multiple versions), POS will decide which profile is the current profile in the following ways:
- If no versions are active or no versions have a valid effective date then POS will use the original profile.
- If there are versions, POS will use the current profile, this will be the active profile with the most recent effective date.
Checking which profile POS will use
- Open a profile using POS Designer (Cinema Manager > Maintenance).
- Click the Open button from the file menu to display the Open Designer window.All the standalone and original profiles will be listed on the left pane. When an original is highlighted, a list of versions of the profile will display on the right pane.
- Locate the profile which is bold and highlighted within the list. This is the current profile.
A cinema uses the default Tickets and Concessions Profile.
- In 7 days time (31 August), the Cinema will have 5 new flavours of ice cream in stock and these are required only to be available to sell from the 31 August.
- ABC Cinemas can create a new version of Tickets and Concessions Profile called Tickets and Concessions Profile (V1), this will contain all of the original profile plus the new ice cream flavours can be added. The new version name is automatically generated and cannot be changed. To distinguish between versions, profile notes can be entered. This version will have the effective date set to 31 August.
- Workstations will automatically start using the new profile on the 31 August.
Note: Because this is a permanent change, an effective to date will not be required. If this was a change only required for a certain date range then an effective date should be set.
Please sign in to leave a comment.