Seat-first ordering mode lets POS operators select a customer's seats immediately after selecting a session. The operator then adds tickets to the order, and POS ensures the tickets are appropriate for the seats selected.
This mode appeals to markets where the common practice is to select seats first, and to moviegoers who have a preference where they sit in relation to the screen.
There are some POS capabilities that are available with ticket-first ordering, but not seat-first ordering:
- Setting up your own colours and images for ticket types. POS will always display the default colour and image for ticket types.
- In seat-first ordering mode, tickets are added to orders all at once (after you select them and proceed with the order). That means the customer facing screen won’t update when you select individual seats or tickets for an order. Instead, it will update all at once, after you add the tickets.
- Redeeming season passes.
- Performing ticket upgrades.
- Selling promotional tickets that are exclusive to a particular card brand.
- Time view on POS's session screen.
- Swiping a card before you reach the payment screen has no effect. POS won’t attempt to use it to pay for the order, or to locate any bookings associated with the card.
- Searching for tickets. POS operators will need to use the ticket list on the seat map screen.
- Changing the order or grouping of tickets in the ticket list.
- Applying a discount on the seat map. If you want to apply a discount manually, you’ll need to finish selecting tickets, leave the seat map, then use the Discount button as normal.
- Using the Multi Purchase function for seats across multiple sessions.
Package ticket limitations
Package tickets contain other tickets and items. The package ticket has a particular setup, then each ticket or item inside the package ticket has its own setup as well.
If you use package tickets, we recommend testing how they behave when using seat-first ordering. There are some uncommon setups for package tickets that you can use with ticket-first ordering, but not seat-first ordering:
- Package tickets containing concession or ticket vouchers. These can't be redeemed when POS is using seat-first ordering.
- Package tickets containing loyalty exclusive tickets. The loyalty ticket will be available to all customers, instead of just loyalty members.
- Package tickets which are not part of a third-party membership but contain tickets that are, aren't supported. POS operators won’t be able to see or select them.
- Package tickets which are part of a third-party membership must contain a maximum of one ticket and one item. If they have more, you may encounter errors when redeeming them.