Make it possible for patrons to add tips when paying for an order by completing the following actions:
- Set up a payment type for tips
- Set up a payment button for tips
- Activate the tips button at POS
- Update tips during cashup
- Configure system settings related to tips.
1. Setting up a payment type for tips
A Tips Payment Type is required to track the tips value included in transactions. This is the minimum configuration required to support tips.
Some organisations include the Tips payment type in the Cash Payment Group, while others set up a specific Tips payment group as well. This decision will be down to your operational preference. We recommend a Tips payment group for clearer reporting in POS Session Manager.
- Create a new Payment Type in Head Office > Maintenance > Payment Types.
- Select the Payment Group. For example: Cash, or Tips.
- Make sure the Denomination checkbox is cleared.
- Select Tips as the Tender Category.
- Click Save.
- (Optional) If you created a specific Tips payment group, return to the Payment Group maintenance form record and select the Payment Type just created as the Default Payment Type.
2. Setting up a payment button for tips
Configure a Payment Button for tips to display on the Payments Screen at POS. This allows servers to add a tips payment to a transaction when they are paying off the order.
- Create a new Payment Button in Head Office > Maintenance > Payment Buttons.
- Select Point of Sale as the Application.
- Select the Tips Payment Type as the Type.
- Select Use Vista Payment Module.
- (Optional) Select the Workstation Group you wish to make the button available for. For example: You may only wish Workstations in the Restaurant to have access to the button.
- Enter the Sequence you wish the button to display in.
- Click Save.
3. Activating the tips button at POS
Note: This procedure will add a Tips button to all Workstations that share the same POS Button Layout.
- Determine which POS Button Layout is used by your Workstation.
- Go to Cinema Manager > Maintenance > POS Button Layouts.
- Open the POS Button Layout for editing.
- Select the Visible checkbox for the Tips button.
- Assign the Positon you want the button to appear in.
- Click Save.
4. Updating tips as part of cashup
Configure Workstation Groups to update tips as part of the Cash Up process.
When a server presses Log Off and selects Cash Up and Log Off, the Tips screen will be displayed. Tips data will also be printed on the Cash Up Slip.
Note: This procedure will add the Tips screen to the cash up process for all Workstations in the Workstation Group.
- Determine which Workstation Group your Workstation is in.
- Go to Cinema Manager > Maintenance > Workstation Group.
- Open the Workstation Group for editing.
- On the main Group tab, select Show Tips Screen on Cash Up.
Note: Automatically Print a Cash Up Slip on Final Log Off must be selected first.
- Click Save.
5. Configure system settings for tips
Update system settings in Head Office > Maintenance > System settings.
The maximum Percentage Tip that can be entered on the Tips screen on POS.
Determines whether or not security approval is required to override the setting POSTipEntryMaxPercentage, and enter a higher Percentage Tip.
When Cash tips are declared at POS, the system setting is used to determine the highest percentage of tips that can be declared before authorization is required to cash up.
When Cash tips are declared at POS, the system setting is used to determine the lowest percentage of tips that can be declared before authorization is required to cash up.
Security level required by manager or staff to overriding the cash tips low or high percentage when declaring cash tips at POS during Cash up.
0: highest security
9: lowest security
99: no security
If set to Yes, POS operators can only edit the values in the Total column.
If set to No, POS operators can only edit the values in the Tip, Total, or Percentage Tip columns.
Determines whether the CashTipsHighPercentage and CashTipsLowPercentage calculations will exclude the following:
Items with the item class Exclude From Tippable Sales
Transactions where a credit-card tip is already applied