This topic shows how you might set up your workstations and service areas for an all screens kitchen operation. For more information, see All screens setup.
Setting up a workstation with the POS setup wizard
The easiest way to set up new workstations is to run POS for the first time on each terminal, and go through the POS Setup Wizard. This will create basic Workstation records in Cinema Manager which can then be fine-tuned.
- Run POS for the first time on the terminal.
The POS Setup Wizard displays.
- Select a Workstation Template and press Next.
This will copy settings from an existing workstation.
- Select Concessions for What this POS sells.
You may wish to prevent kitchen workstations from selling anything, but we can fix this in Cinema Manager after the wizard has created basic workstation records.
- Select the Workstation Group.
Example: Point of Sale, or a group specifically for Kitchen workstations.
- Select the required POS Profile and press Next.
This determines how items are displayed on the Concessions Selling Screen. If you want to prevent workstations from selling altogether, just select the default as it does not matter.
- Select the required POS Button Layout and press Next.
- (Optional) If you want kitchen workstations to be POS only, without access to the general Windows interface, select Set as Dedicated Point of Sale workstation, and POS to Run on Startup.
- Press Finish.
- Press Ok to complete the Setup Wizard.
- Repeat this process for each terminal in the kitchen.
Setting up the kitchen screen
After the POS setup wizard has been completed:
- In Cinema Manager, go to Maintenance > Workstations and profiles and open the workstation records for the Expeditor and two Prepare Areas (Hot station and Cold station).
Note: You can also edit workstations using the Function templates maintenance form, especially when configuring workstations at Head Office and downloading them to Vista Cinema.
- Make sure the POS button layout chosen in the setup wizard must be one that has the Kitchen button available. If it doesn't, edit the POS button layout, or create a new one and select it on the Workstations page.
- (Optional) If you want to prevent the kitchen workstations from making any sales, clear the following settings on the main Workstation tab:
- Selling tickets
- Selling concessions
- Show Checks tab
- On the Service area tab, select Allow service.
- Set the relevant service area for each workstation:
- Expeditor workstation: Expeditor
- Hot station workstation: Hot station
- Cold station workstation: Cold station
- For the Expeditor workstation only, select Master kitchen screen, and select the Expeditor, Hot station, and Cold station Service areas from the corresponding combo box.
This allows the expeditor to see what is happening with orders in the other service areas.
- Select the buttons that are to be available:
- For the Prepare Area workstations, you want users to be able to indicate that an item has been Started and Made.
- For the Expeditor workstation, you want the user to be able to indicate that an item has been Collected.