It is common in restaurant environments to automatically add a gratuity or tip value to orders, instead of requiring the server to manually add it. There are a number of possible reasons for this.
- An automatic suggested tip of 15%, which can be altered by the server if the customer requires;
- Gratuity for tables including more than a certain number of guests.
Automatic gratuity is achieved in Vista by using Order Surcharges.
Customers can then choose whether they want to pay the gratuity amount, remove it, or pay a higher or lower amount.
- In Cinema Manager or Head Office, go to .
- Create or open an order surcharge.
For example: 15% Gratuity
- Select Report surcharge as Payment Type, and select Tips as the Payment Type.
This ensures that gratuity amounts are recorded and reported as tips.
- Enter the Surcharge Percentage.
For example: 15.00%
- (Optional) Select Limit Based on Number of Guests, and enter the Minimum Number of Guests.
For example: Automatic gratuity only for tables of 6 or more guests
- Select Apply Automatically on Tabs Only.
Orders in a restaurant environment are usually conducted using Tabs and Checks that are paid off later. This option will automatically add the gratuity surcharge to tab orders, but not to normal POS orders that are paid off instantly.
You can also choose to Apply Automatically to All transactions, or to require the operator to Apply Manually.
Note: For an Order Surcharge to apply automatically, the relevant Workstation Groups must be configured with the Order Surcharge. Manual application or overriding automatic application of a surcharge can be done either with the Order Surcharge Payment Window Button for standard transactions, or in the Tab Details window for Tabs. If an Order Surcharge is configured to apply automatically, the FastCash Button will take the operator to the Payment Screen in order to confirm the surcharge, rather than immediately completing the transaction.
- Contact Vista, and tell us you're setting up automatic gratuity. We need to make some changes to allow your payment connector to accept and process automatic gratuities.