Modifiers are customisations of prepared food and beverages. They can describe the addition or removal of an ingredient (extra cheese; no olives), or the manner of preparation (medium-rare; mayonnaise on the side). In Vista software, modifiers are realised as items.
Items used as modifiers can be associated with other items through a third type of item called a modifier group. For example, the item medium-rare may belong to the modification group meat temperatures. The meat temperatures group may then be associated with items that represent cooked meat products such as steaks and hamburgers.
In summary, there are three kinds of item to consider when working with modifiers in Cinema Manager:
- Base items that are sold directly to the customer at POS (the "modifiable" items). For example: Steak meal, Hamburger, Greek Salad.
- Items that represent a category of modifier (the modification groups). For example: Sauce, Salt, Dressing, Meat temperature.
- Items that represent individual customisations (the modifiers). For example: Garlic sauce, Pepper sauce, Sea salt, Kosher salt, Mayonnaise, Medium-rare, Well-done.
Which items can be made into modifiable items?
To be made modifiable, an item must have the Requires Preparing option selected.
Any item except the following can be made into a modifiable item:
- Modifiers (that is, items that are members of a modification group)
- Items of type: modification group, item package, component, weight-based component, or parent sale.
- Items that have feature alternate items associated with them.
What items can be used as modifiers?
Items of the following types can be used a modifiers:
- Items of type component, normal, or made in advance.
- Items of type made at sale time that contain only non-saleable items
The following items cannot be used as modifiers:
- Modifiable items (that is, a modifier cannot have any modification groups in its Alternate Items tab, though it can of course be a member of a modification group)
- Items of type modifier group, parent sale, item package, or weight based component
- Items of type made at sale time that contain saleable items
Some items used as modifiers may also be sold independently. When sold as a modifier, an item's price and effect on stock levels may differ from when the item is sold independently.